Nolen Gurer Payesh | Rice Kheer with Jaggery – Festive Recipe
Happy new year to all of you.its my 1st recipe of this year.so im going to start 2018 with a super delicious sweet dish called Nolen Gurer Payesh or Rice Kheer with Jaggery.as you all know, sankranti is celebrated all over India.it is a ritual which is mostly based on making different types of sweet dishes and celebrate the specific day.in Bengali culture, it’s important to make different types of sweet dishes called “Pithe”.but today I’m going to share a most delicious sweet dish we Bengalis use to make at this winter season is Gurer payesh or rice kheer with Jaggery. Because , at this time the original delicious jaggery are made.so , it’s the best time to make authentic and delicious mouth watering sweets made with jaggery. let’s start our Nolen gurer payesh or Rice Kheer with Jaggery.
To make Nolen Gurer Payesh , we need a special type of aromatic rice called gobindo bhog rice.which gives a sweet smell which enhance the flavour of gurer payesh / rice kheer with jaggery along with the flavour of jaggery. But it’s important to add the jaggery after turning of the gas oven.otherwise it will curdle the milk .so we need to be careful to get a perfect payesh or rice kheer with jaggery.
- Gobindo bhog rice (aromatic rice)[50gm]
- Full cream milk (1 litre)
- Jaggery / nolen gur (250gm)
- Dry fruits (cashew,almond,raisins)
- Salt (1 pinch)
- Ghee / clarified butter (2 tablespoon)
- To make gurer payesh / rice kheer with jaggery , we need to soak 50gm of gobindo bhog rice ( aromatic rice) in water for sometime.
- Now wash it well and keep aside.
- Then take one hand full of cashew,almond and raisins.chop the almonds and cashew and keep them aside too.
- Now take 250gm of jaggery.it will be hard so we need to grate them to use in gurer payesh / rice kheer with jaggery.
- Now we will start our delicious Nolen gurer payesh / rice kheer with jaggery.for that we have to take 1 litre of full cream milk in a thick bottomed pan and let it start boil in medium flame and stir it continuously.
- After boiling for 8-10 minutes, we need to add the soaked and washed gobindo bhog rice ( aromatic rice) in the milk.
- Now let it start boil again and keep it stir after sometimes till the rice turns soft and the milk gets thickened.now put 1 pinch of salt and mix it well.
- It’s time to add the ghee and dry fruits in the kheer and mix them well.
- Now we will add the most important thing needed to sweeten the kheer, jaggery.but we have to follow a very important rules.if jaggery is added to hot milk, it will curdle the milk.So need to turn off the flame and then add the grated jaggery and mix it once and cover it and let the jaggery melt.
- Our Nolen gurer payesh / rice kheer with jaggery is ready to eat.it tastes best if it served cold.so let it cool for 2 – 3 hours and sprinkle some more dry fruits and serve it.